China trying to change status quo at Doklam: Shivshankar Menon

China trying to change status quo at Doklam: Shivshankar Menon

Shivshankar Menon, a former National Security Adviser for India, said that the current stop Doklam was serious because of China’s attempts to change the status quo in the tri-crossing with Bhutan and its reluctance to return to the status quo.

For more than three weeks, soldiers from the Indian Army and People’s Liberation Army (PLA) will face a clear over 10,000 feet in the eastern Himalayas.

According to Bhutan’s protest with China, Chinese soldiers began building a road to Bhutan’s army camp on June 16, Zompelri

Indian soldiers “in consultation” with the Bhutanese government tried to persuade the PLA contingent to return over the border as the only public statement from the Indian Ministry of Foreign Affairs so far.

Since then, the troops of the two Asian giants have remained stationed in the bhoutanien territory, keeping an eye on each other.

Although the situation remains calm at the stop, Chinese official statements have been quite intense, with references to the 1962 War and speaks of “serious consequences”.

“The incident is serious because it is an attempt by China to change the status quo, we are committed to maintain as BPTA 1993. They were trying to build a road that would change the situation at the crossing of three” said the Wire “Menon, which was the 2012-2014 NSA.”

Students in China, Menon was also Secretary Abroad for three years, until 2009, and the Ambassador of India to China 2003-2006.

The treaty in question is the agreement on the maintenance of peace and tranquility, commonly called the Agreement for Peace and Tranquility of the Border, which was signed during the 1993 visit by Prime Minister Narasimha Rao in Beijing.

At that time, it was the first border agreement between China and India to maintain peace throughout the disputed mountainous border.

Menon, who participated in the negotiations on previous border incidents, said there appears to be a fundamental difference in the attitude of the Chinese.

“This time it will not seem to come back.” The rhetoric is much warmer, they have asked us to withdraw first, before speaking, “he said.

China, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and its ambassador in Delhi, has repeatedly said that India must withdraw unconditionally before initiating a “meaningful dialogue.”

India and China have already participated in the arrests, including Ladakh Depsang who four years ago, when the Chinese arrived and set up camp. It took three weeks for the two sides to resolve the incident.

“During the intrusion of Depsang 2013, we asked the Chinese to withdraw and restore the status quo.

In previous incidents – Depsang, Chumar – the two sides spoke and returned to previous positions to restore the status quo, “Menon said.

The Chinese were upset because they claim that the Sikkim frontier was resolved long ago by the Treaty of 1890 between Britain and China in Sikkim and Tibet.

Citing the notes and letters exchanged in 1959 and 1960, China claimed that India had also adopted the 1890 Treaty and the borders of Sikkim and Tibet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *